About Me

My photo
Not as young as I was but young enough to be curious about the world and go places to write about it.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Second to last day


Day 16 NZ Tues April 19
 

Paihia. 

The day has dawned bright and cloudless. The sun gods are smiling on us yet again, perfect for a cruise on the bay.

Line up with the hordes for the catamaran taking us to the Hole in the Rock. I film dolphins frolicking and swimmers from another boat jumping in the water to join them. I wouldn’t be game, ever mindful that dolphins are wild animals, anything can happen! After pushing my way to the front of the boat and climbing up to stand at the bow, I got some good footage, all video.

Next feature of note is the famous Hole in the Rock. The water is calm, the wind down to 3 knots compared with 52 knots yesterday, so we sail through with no problem. 

Hole in the Rock.   
On the way back we stop at Russell for lunch. I order a rich clam chowder, too salty to finish but full of seafood. We wander through some lovely small boutiques, full of original and locally designed clothes and jewellery, very impressive. Pity I haven’t won Lotto yet.

Carving outside a small Maori museum on Russell. 


Our ferry arrives back at Paihia at the same time as one of the charter fishing boats. I’d love to have time to go on one of those but we’re leaving tomorrow. The gulls fighting over the fish heads and skins being thrown over the side as the fishermen fillet the larger fish make for some entertaining viewing.

Kit on the ferry


Weather is 25 degrees by the time we get back to the hotel. The swimming pool looks so inviting I have to go in, especially since Ray assures me it’s lovely. I should have known better, knowing Ray. It’s freezing, but once committed I have to soldier on. I last about 15 minutes by which time Diane joins me and we hasten to the hot tub to recover. Feels good afterwards. The throat is still a bit croaky but I don’t feel sick. 
Proof I got in the pool. 


After dinner Marie presents our coach driver with a laminated version of the ‘NZ alphabet’ sheet she placed in our tour packages, about which we’ve been making jokes the whole trip. We hold the final trivia quiz with questions about the North Island this time. It is the second to last day, and some of us are ready to go home. I’m looking forward to getting a replacement ring tomorrow in Auckland.

NZ Alphabet. 


No comments:

Post a Comment