About Me

My photo
Not as young as I was but young enough to be curious about the world and go places to write about it.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Last day in New Zealand

I've written a big note to myself  'Finish NZ blog.' So here it is. Before heading to the ariport Chris took us up Mount Eden in Auckland. It is quite a climb in the bus in that some parts are very narrow. Some locals are trying to stop tour buses from driving up there. Given the precariousness of the ride, I would agree. Surely there can be a system of mini buses to take us all up there.

Our bus teetering on the edge. 

The view is tremendous of course, and my camera does not do it justice. Auckland looks much better from here than in the mean streets of the CBD!

With all the water one can understand why 1 in 3-4 people own a boat, making it the city with more boats per capita in the world. Apparently the boat building industry is thriving. (Having been married to a NZ boat builder for a while, I'm interested in this info!)

Photo ops over, we snake carefully back down the mountain on our way to the airport. We pass a sign, 'Hillsborough,' which triggers the memory of where I used to address letters to my father in law a long time ago. (Got severely sidetracked looking for the actual address and finding diary entries for 1975 in South Africa instead!)

As you can guess, the ride to the ariport was uneventful.


One of many beautiful lakes in NZ.

All that is left are my reflections on NZ: 'it's a slip of land teetering on the edge.'

I suppose the recent bad earthquake and its thousands of after shocks contribute to that impression. But I missed the birds, hadn't realised how many are around in Australia, even in the inner city and suburbs. I was not aware of birds much in NZ. So many NZ birds are threatened by stoats and possums that they are 'teetering on the edge' of extinction.

NZ is very beautiful, my favourite being the South Island. Although I can't help thinking if the S. Island didn't exist I'd think the N. Island very beautiful. Their milk, icecream and butter are so creamy, like a throwback to my childhood before preservatives and additives became  popular. The people are friendly, their guides knowledgeable, but I miss the humour and professionalism of the Aussie guides.

All in all it was an interesting trip, albeit too long. Places I wish to re-visit are Dunedin (no, not for the Cadbury's! I just liked the 'feel' of it for some reason); Mount Cook, to be among the mountains for a few days; The Bay of Islands to go fishing.


Mount Cook.

Sunset at Fox Glacier.

2 comments: