About Me

My photo
Not as young as I was but young enough to be curious about the world and go places to write about it.

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Going 'oop north

Oct 15 2010


In the road in Tennessee and here I am not done with my English blog yet. Given that we’ve packed so much into the last 3 days it is hard to leave the excitement. Never mind you’ll have to wait for that.

I went ‘oop north’ to visit dear friends in Preston and Bamfurlong near Wigan. Passing through Manchester on the train the sight of the canals reminded me of the Industrial Revolution when cotton and wool from the ‘dark, satanic’ mills was shipped out through places like Manchester to all parts of the world. How said mills employed children as young as three who endured horrendous working conditions and danger such that it killed many, and stunted the growth of those more lucky. I thought of the trade unions formed in this area and the fight they had to force decent working conditions that we all take for granted today, four weeks holiday a year, sick leave, a 40 hour week to name a few (although the 40 hour week seems to be fast disappearing these days.)

I expected noting but begrimed and be-sooted buildings between Manchester and Preston but I was pleasantly surprised to encounter gentle green slopes, plenty of trees and grazing sheep. This will be an enduring memory of England, something I’ve forgotten or taken for granted in the past. Maybe my recent trip in the Top End of Australia with its red earth and sparse trees have provided such a stark contrast that it startled my consciousness into a better appreciation of England’s lush green countryside.

I bought a first class rail flexi pass because I could get a senior discount at a cost of a only few dollars more than the standard class which does not offer a senior rate. Overall it worked out fairly alright but was disappointing on the first leg of this trip; no service and grotty toilets. Gagging for a brew, I purchased coffee at Manchester Station only to find that First Class in the second leg provided free beverages. There was some consolation in the free fruit cake.

My friends met me at the station in a shiny new Audi (Is that A5 or A6?) Nothing second class about that car, it did everything except make a cup of tea…lovely!

It was pretty cool but fine..ish when we took the dog for a walk in the morning. Watched birds from a bird hide and a grey squirrel bustling about stocking up for winter. The grey squirrels are not looked upon kindly in the UK. They are bullying their way about the place pinching all the nosh from the more timid red squirrels which don’t seem to be around much any more.

At the pub I saw a sight I’d never seen before, Yorkshire puddings stacked up under glass ready to be added to the roast meat special of the day.

On a day trip to Manchester the following day we ran into the Labour party Conference…well the barriers and the police at least. Ed Milliband had just been voted the new labour leader that weekend. While the media went hysterical, most people I spoke to scratched their heads and yawned about it.

Given my musings on the train (a la industrial revolution etc.) it seemed appropriate to visit the People’s Museum which was exhibiting the history of people’s protests over the ages.

Fights for working conditions and the suffragettes were represented, even an executioner’s axe for killing said protesters.

Pictures and artefacts of anti apartheid protests of the seventies, alongside feminist marches of the same decade were also displayed.

After 3 days I said farewell to dear friends and boarded the train, remarking to myself how more efficient the trains seemed to be these day. Oh dear…spoke too soon, even it was to myself. The train developed brake problems and limped into one station before I needed to get off. Of course I missed my connection and arrived back in Nettleham an hour late.

Sometimes howeer it is good to see things from a different angle to appreciate them. The missed connection was a petty annoyance but revisiting England’s past history and present beauty was worth the trip. Not to mention my wonderful friends!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment